The Delta Bike is the "classic sports car" of my bicycle stable. I'd always liked the Campagnolo Delta brakes, and when I bought a set of them on EBay, I built a bike around it, using a classic steel Colnago frame, and all parts were from the same early '90s era.
Since the 1970's, there has been a Tuesday night training race in Austin, called the Tuesday Nighter. It's a non-sanctioned race, with no entry fee, no prize money, and no organization. Everyone just shows up, the 'A' group goes off for their three laps, and the slower 'B' group starts a few minutes later for their two laps.
I'd never done this race, mostly because I'd heard that it could get a bit crazy (i.e. non-sanctioned, no organization) and because it wouldn't be easy to get down to South Austin after work for the 6pm start.
Last night, my friend Greg and asked me if I'd be interested in doing this week's Tuesday Nighter, because he was going to try it out. It sounded good to me, but since my Black Bike is in pieces (I'm rebuilding the shifters), I'd have to use the Delta Bike. I've been riding the Delta Bike for the past week or so, so that wasn't a big issue. I told Greg that I didn't want to crash the Delta Bike, so I'd just hang in the back of the peloton.
I drove over to Hammerhead Bikes to meet up with Greg, Cody, and a few others, and we rode down to Mellow Johnny's, where we picked up another 20 or so folks, then rode to the start of the Tuesday Nighter. It was a pretty mellow ride, and I had 20 miles in by the time we arrived at the race. I was having some problems with the shifting of the rear derailleur, but I just put that off to a tuning issue.
We waited for a few minutes, then the 'A' group rolled out. We followed shortly thereafter. At the bottom of the first hill, we hit a rough spot, and my chain got hung up in my rear derailleur. It's done this before, and I was able to get it straightened out while still being able to stay with the pack. A minute later, the chain was hanging again. This time, however, as I was trying to get it straightened out, it got much louder, and the rear wheel locked up and started skidding.
This couldn't be good.
I was able to keep the bike up, and bring it safely to a stop. When I looked, I saw that the piece of the frame to which the rear derailleur is attached (called, coincidentally enough, the derailleur hanger) had broken, and the derailleur was dangling on the cable.
This was not good. The two pieces pointed to in the following picture should be one piece (See? They're the same color!)
The bike was now not rideable, and I had to walk back to the start. I didn't want the derailleur to drag on the ground, so I walked the bike, leaning over it to hold the derailleur, which was a pain. I tried a couple of different ways to push the bike, including holding the rear wheel off the ground, and just rolling it on the front wheel, but this was hard to control. I carried the bike for a while, too, but it wasn't fun.
Several cars drove past me, but none stopped to help. One car did stop, and the driver asked me how I was doing. When I told him, "I've been better," he proceeded to ask me if I knew where the nearby car junkyard was. He went on to tell me how he'd driven all around, but couldn't find it.
Thank you for your concern, sir. Yes, I know where is the place for which you search, but I'm going to let you find it yourowndamnself.
Finally, a woman in a minivan, going in the other direction, stopped and asked me if I needed a ride. She then went down the road to turn around, came back, loaded me up, and took me to the start of the race, where I thanked her profusely.
Luckily, a Violet Crown rider, Robert, had driven to the race, and agreed to take me and my bike back to Hammerhead.
I'm hoping that Cody and the good folks at True Fabrications can replace the rear dropout on my bike.
18 comments:
ummmm...I don't know what a lot of this means. I do know that the idea of riding 20 miles to GET TO A BIKE RACE seems like sheer craziness!
Sorry about the jerks who passed you by...and that was me in the minivan who helped :)
ok, not really, but I do have a minivan and I would have helped...
That just sucks. It is amazing how many people will drive right past a biker pushing a bike, you know they are smirking while doing it too. The last time that happened to me I walked to the bike shop and purchased some mountain shoes because I got so tired of hearing my cleats grind on the pavement.
Have you ever visiting Jill Homer's blog? She is a mountain biker in Alaska. She is a beautiful writer and you would appreciate the gorgeous photos she takes. She is one tough cookie! www.arcticglass.blogspot.com.
Ah, Frank! I'm glad you didn't have to push/pull/carry the bike all the way home.
Basically, Mary, I broke my favorite bike. :-(
Kate, I forgot to mention that I had changed the pedals on the bike before I left, so was wearing my mountain bike shoes. At least they were much easier to walk in than my road bike shoes would have been.
I've seen Jil Homer's blog before. I guess I should RSS it.
That would have truly suxed, MtnMama, and is the problem with riding to the ride. I would have talked one of my buddies (like Greg, who got me into that mess! :-) into driving back and picking me up.
Seriously, the riding to the race thing floors me. You just might be as insanely into riding as my cousin is. Ya know, the one that won the CND race? Or was it CDN? Either way, I didn't get it.
And I would have stopped for you. That's BS that nodboy did.
I'm with Mary on this one.... 20 miles before the race even starts... WOW!!!!
Sorry about your luck....
Frank, you are just diehard! Did you get any woman w/minivan picks up biker in distress action? Sounds like the beginning of a great penthouse story LOL
Sorry you broke your favorite bike. I hope it can be fixed:)
No, OBMJ, no WWMPUBiD action. I think the bike can be fixed, but it will take some welding (not by me).
I had no idea that so many biking terms were French.
Bummer getting stuck with no wheels. I'm glad someone was nice enough to stop. Some people are clueless, others are just scared, I guess.
Frank, my answer to your question on your newest post is "I've got nothing to say." HA! :D
Franky - I can't comment on your above post about not getting comments because there's no "comment" button!
oh the cruel irony!!!!!
What's worse is not being ABLE to comment after reading someone's blog. That's the worst!
:)
Hiya Frank. *muah*
You tricked me with your comment question and closed commenting...what's up with that?
Uh, yeah - no 'Comment' button/link/thingy, so what's up with that, Frank? Don't go all passive aggressive on your buddies, now. ;) (glad I'm not the only one who sat here and stared at my screen thinking WTF)
There are so many times that I read a blog and don't comment, simply because I have nothing clever to say. So I would have to go with no one reading your blog as being worse.
However, whining about the lack of comments (I can't think of ANYONE who's done THAT before) and then not letting anyone comment....well, that's just plain cruel.
Seriously Frank, you need to add the top commentor gadget... that will get your commenting stats up. That little scoreboard will make your casual commentors turn into competitive, rabid bloggy visitors.
Of course, you'd have to actually ALLOW them to comment for it to work.
I didn't mean that to be a whiny post, I was just going for the irony, as Mala mentioned.
I guess I should have gone on and on about how much worse it would be to not get comments, then lock out the commenting on all of my posts. Or, just the most recent few, to see if anyone would go back far enough to find a post on which they could comment. Sort of a social experiment.
But I didn't.
I was just playing around. I don't keep track of the number of followers or comments I get. You guys are great at commenting, as evidenced by this post.
Frankie poo, you gotta open the comments so we can read AND comment! you know you like the love and validation just like the rest of us;)
Post a Comment