Tuesday, May 12, 2009

An Epiphany

I have an Aunt L. who lives out of the country, but owns the house next to my Mom's, to use when she visits. She has this terrible habit of asking me questions, then telling me that my answers are wrong. She did this consistently when she was here a few months ago, for a wedding:

AL: "I'm reading a really interesting book about the former chairman of China. What's his name? Mao? Mau? Mouse?"

Me: "Mao Tse Tung."

AL: "Nooooooooo, Frank. It's Mao...Mao...Maouse..."

*sigh*

Or:

AL: "I have a pedometer. How do I convert the numbers on it to distance that I've walked?

Me: "If your pace is 3 feet, multiply the number on the pedometer by 3 feet."

AL: "Noooooo, Frank. My pace isn't 3 feet!"

Me: "Well, then multiply it by however long your pace is."

AL: "But my pace isn't 3 feet!"

*sigh*

This continued on through the weekend, and I vowed to begin answering her questions with, "Don't ask me."

Then, in March, we had a surprise birthday party for Mom, at AL's house. That morning, AL called me to tell me to take the food to her house. Where did she think I was going to take it, to Mom's house? To the Salvation Army, perhaps?

Then the light bulb went off.

Earlier in the week, AL's daughter had sent an e-mail to Mom, saying that she was sorry that she would not be able to attend the birthday party. Yes, she knew full well that this was a SURPRISE birthday party. One of AL's sons moved his family from San Diego to Seattle, without having a job there, the summer before his oldest son's senior year in high school. When he did not get a job there, he moved them back to San Diego, again with no job waiting. The last I heard, he's thinking about moving them back to Seattle. Her other son met and married some woman whom he had met on the interwebs. She lives in the Phillipines, he lives here in the US. He thought that she was cheating on him, so he filmed himself having sex with some other woman and sent it to her.

EPIPHANY: Aunt L. thinks that everyone is as stupid as her own kids!

Mom's having surgery this week, so AL came up for it. Oh, joy. The three of us drove two hours to Houston today. Mom slept in the backseat, so I was left with AL. She's one of those types who abhors silence, so she kept chatting the whole way. I knew better, though, answering most of her questions with "Dunno," or, if it was a REALLY obvious answer (such as one that would agree with her viewpoint), "Yup." At one point, she asked if I thought the crops in the fields adjoining the highway were corn or maize, but I didn't fall for it! Instead of picking one option and having her respond, "Noooooooo, Frank, it's the other!" I just replied with, "Dunno." I figure it's better to have her think I'm stupid than to have her tell me I'm stupid.

Driving from the hospital to the hotel, which is at 7710 Main St., AL kept trying to tell me in a tactful way that she thought I was going in the wrong direction. As we drove from the 6500 block to the 6700 block of Main St., she said, "I know I'm always wrong, but I think that it's the other way." Instead of saying, "If you're always wrong, and you think it's in the other direction, then we must be going the right way!" I stayed quiet, and just turned into the hotel parking lot.

I did let my guard down at dinner tonight, though. There was a picture of a crawfish on the menu (and it said, "Crawfish"), so I asked AL if she liked crawfish.

AL: "We call them crayfish."

Me: "Well, do you like them?"

AL: "Not much. I remember when I was young, and it would rain, and the creeks would fill with water, and the crayfish would come out. Are those the same as they serve here?"

Me: "Yup."

AL: "Noooooooo, Frank, don't you think they farm them? Do you think that farm-raised catfish are the same as catfish you get out of a pond?"

Silly me. I thought that when she asked me if they were "the same" she was asking if they were the same animal, not if I thought that people stood around dry ditches, waiting for the rain to come, so that they could harvest the few dozen craw..er..crayfish that came out of their holes.

Four more days with Aunt L. I wish I had a hole I could crawl into.

(I should probably go and see how many of the seven things that make me awe-summm I violated.)

17 comments:

Mala said...

Can't you just tie her to the bumper, all National Lampoon like?

Mary said...

oh my god- I have a relative just like that. Well, I did. She's dead now.
See? there's always hope... the hope that you'll outlive her.
In addition to those kinds of questions in which no answer you give could POSSIBly be right...my relative read signs all the way to wherever we were going.
"Sweet corn for sale...Bob's mufflers...Speedway hot dogs, 2 for a dollar...Motel 6..."
man.

Steph said...

Please, please, please tell me you're bringing this delightful woman to lunch. PLEAAAASE?

Frank Irwin said...

Once again, Mala, I like the way you think!

Mary, she's 86, but a pretty damn healthy 86. I think I may be able to outlive her. She's a sign reader, as well.

Steph, I wouldn't do that to you, though, not being related to her, I'm sure you could have a good time with her. :-)

Bev said...

She sounds like a real treat! I like Mala's suggestion.

Anonymous said...

She abhors silence? *shudder*

I love this story...hilarious! I mean, I am truly sorry you have to deal with her...but my God I can't wait to hear more on her.

Connie said...

HA HA HA! Oh dear. Poor Frank. You have my sympathy you really do. I think we all have a relative or two like this. :)

Hope your mom's surgery went OK.

Frank Irwin said...

I lost her in the cafeteria. We'll see how long it takes her to find her way back up here. :-)

Frank Irwin said...

Gah! She found me!

Luckily, though, my cousin (not AL's daughter) drove in. Of course, the directions I gave her to find us were "wrong" according to AL, but she found us just fine.

Now she's keeping AL occupied, telling her about the next Coming.

Mom's out of surgery, and all went well, so I'm going to lunch. :-)

Kate said...

Why don't you try answering her with off the wall, totally ridiculous answers? Like instead of Mao Tse Tung, why not try "centrifugal force" or "feces poo shit."

Glad your mom's okay.

Frank Irwin said...

Awe-summmm idea, Kate!

And thanks.

Roy Bragg said...

I thought you were writing with a lisp (for effect) and that this blog entry was about urine. My bad.

Frank Irwin said...

Roy, you must be thinking about my next post, entitled, "Urine Luck: How I Won Big in a Vegas Men's Room."

Mary said...

Frank-
the dead relative of mine lived to be 99...maybe reading all those signs and all that 'thinking' about how wrong others are is the secret to everlasting life! So read signs, criticize others and you'll live to be 100! of course, everyone will plot your death for most of those years, but who cares!

Samsmama said...

Awww...you've got your very own "Asshole Lite".

Frank Irwin said...

Thanks, Samsmama, I was wondering if anyone would pick up on that.

jessica o said...

I was gonna say, "Hey everyone in my blog posse is getting an AL. I guess I need to find my AL." Then I saw that S&M beat me to the punch, which is kinda sad considering it's like the 63rd comment on the post.

Also, poor AL. Sounds like she has 3 very good reasons for living in another country.

Your avatar is beautiful evil. I love it. Thanks for losing the Meg Tilley circa The Big Chill awkward toe sucking yoga pose. Because, like my word verf, it was slizi.