Thursday, September 23, 2010

Peaches

Well, Fall has sprung upon us, bringing along with it...what? What do you associate with the different seasons?

Some associate sports:
  • Winter: Hockey, Basketball
  • Spring: Baseball, Basketball
  • Summer: Swimming, Basketball
  • Fall: Football, Basketball






















Some associate clothing:
  • Winter: Parkas, Muffs
  • Spring: Easter dresses, Bonnets
  • Summer: Shorts, Swimsuits
  • Fall: Sweaters, Boots












Some associate seasonings:
  • Winter: Salt, Pepper
  • Spring: Rosemary, Thyme
  • Summer: Mustard, Garlic
  • Fall: Allspice, Oregano
But those people are just jerks.












Me? I associate seasons with fruit:
  • Winter: Pink Grapefruit, Oranges
  • Spring: Strawberries, Blueberries
  • Summer: Peaches, Watermelons
  • Fall: Apples, Apples









So, according to this, Summer is my favorite season, because peaches are my favorite fruit. Some people like their peaches soft and juicy, so that the juice runs down their chin. Not me (the beard may have something to do with that). I'm all about the texture; I like my peaches nice and crisp. I have fond memories of climbing in my grandmother's peach trees and picking green peaches, about the size of a golf ball, and munching down on them. I was told that they'd give me a stomach ache, but they never did.

Fast forward 30 years, to a produce department in a local grocery store. I'm trying to buy some peaches, but all of the ones they have are soft and mushy. As I'm looking for some that are to my liking, a rather attractive woman, whom I had noticed when she walked into the store, sidles up next to me and also starts checking out the peaches. She picks one up, and gives me a bit of a quizzical look.

"Yeah," I said, "I like mine hard."

She didn't respond. I soon realized what I had just said, set down the peach in my hand, and left, my face turning as red as the beets in the next aisle.

6 comments:

Connie said...

HA HA HA HA! Thanks for the laugh, Frank. Love the pictures!

For some reason this post has brought to my mind something my mother used to say when I was little.

"Burma Shave. A peach looks good. With lots of fuzz, But man's no peach. And never was. Burma Shave."

I have no idea why this little jingle has popped into my head at this moment, but then, I never knew why my mother said it when she did, either.

This is not a comment or reflection on your beard, either, by the way, which looks nice. Although, maybe it wouldn't look nice if it was all sticky with peach juice, so I can see why you like yours um...hard.

Just for the record, though, I like mine soft. ;)

Kate said...

That's what she said.

Samsmama said...

Bonnets. Beets. Battlest---eh, I'll stop.

My only regret about our trip to Jamaica was not going to Dunn's river.

Somewhere along the line I know I've mentioned the time that hubby told me he could eat a peach for hours. I was stumped when I bought some at the store and they just sat there. Duh.

TotalBlammBlamm said...

Frankie, that's so weird, because I like mine hard, too.

Oh. Peaches? Wait what?

I love autumn. This is my favorite season... It's gorgeous here in Wisconsin...

MtnMama said...

Oh, Frank! I can just see you in the supermarket, feeling up the produce.
I like mine right in between, when they've started to ripen, but aren't all mushy yet. Yeah, I rarely get what I want.

Nice pictures. And something tells me you like basketball.

I sure am happy to be back where there ARE seasons. The breeze is kicking up the wind chimes right now... ah... fall.

Frank Irwin said...

It's actually starting to feel a bit Autumnish here, too! It's 70F right now.